Pocketpedia requests

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia requests

Post by Conor »

The cover images should be in that same folder, in a folder named "Covers" and "Thumbnails".
shibachica
Inductee
Inductee

Post by shibachica »

I would really love to be able to add items that are not necessarily sold by amazon.... I know amazon has tons of items I own but, for example music, movies etc that are no longer being produced and games sold electronically over a system's internet sites (ie xbox live, psn, or ipod applications). I would love to show a complete list of what I own. Thank you.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. We plan to add manual entry of items in a future version so that you can add items that are not on Amazon as well as adding items when not connected to the internet for the iPod Touch.
tlking
Inductee
Inductee

Post by tlking »

I love the idea of Pocketpedia - being able to carry around my entire library. One major thing that I think would greatly improve the application would be the addition of the Borrow feature. When someone borrows a book or DVD, I'd love the ability to set up who borrowed what and enable email reminders to return the product right on my phone instead of having to open the program on my computer.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The new version of Pocketpedia has the ability to borrow and return books to users in the iPhone address book. Thank you for the feedback about adding that information via transfer to DVDpedia and Bookpedia so it can do the email reminders.
tstout

Post by tstout »

The killer feature for me (aside from two-way sync) would be to use the iPhone camera to do barcode scanning for entering new items. Rather than needing a dedicated scanner, you could turn an iPhone into a handheld cordless item scanner. No more schlepping the DVDs over to the computer to scan.

Also, and I know this won't be popular, but you should consider charging a nominal fee for it in the App store. While it's really nice to get something like this for free, I've noticed a number of reviewers really confused by exactly what this app is designed to be -- some think it's just a front end for Amazon :roll: -- only when you sync with the desktop pedias is the true power of this program exposed. Now that Apple has restricted reviews to purchasers, even a $0.99 fee would weed out some of the people who are just confused.

Finally, this doesn't apply to just Pocketpedia, but how about some way to sync -pedia wishlists with actual Amazon wish lists. Sure would be nice with Christmas just around the corner to let friend and family know exactly what I'm wanting this year.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the idea, we are experimenting with the barcode scanning as a way of searching for a book in Pocketpedia. We had not thought of using it as a remote scanner.

We have requested an enhancement of the Amazon API to be two ways. At the moment the API only allows for the retrieval of the information (if the wish list is public) but not adding. Unfortunately, Amazon does not have the ability to import a list of ASINs to create a wish list quickly from the ASINs in the Pedias.
kav
Inductee
Inductee

Post by kav »

First, I'd like to say that these programs are phenomenal and a really big help.

I think backward syncing is probably the most useful thing for me that's lacking in 1.1.2. I run an English school in Japan and we have a small library of English books that the kids can access. It'd be great if I could check them out on the fly when the kids come up to me instead of having to run back to the staff room to use an iMac. Just pull out the iPod and check out/return a book and then sync it later.

I'd also love to have complete "sort by" options in Pocketpedia.

Look forward to the updates!
keep up the good stuff.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Checking out books as well as adding items to the wish list on the go are the true benefits of backwards sync. Thank you for the feedback and the clear description on how you would use this feature. I was once lucky enough to get to visit Japan and it is a beautiful place, especially Kyoto.