Game Databases that would be cool to have search plugins for

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Rockin' Kat
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Game Databases that would be cool to have search plugins for

Post by Rockin' Kat »

Amazon works pretty well for new games, but I find it doesn't work so good for geting details on classic games.. and MobyGames is good, but there's still better.

It'd be really cool of their were search plugins for using the classic video game databases on these sites:

http://www.atariage.com
http://www.digitpress.com
http://www.nintendoage.com
Last edited by Rockin' Kat on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Game Databases that would be cool to have search plugins for

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestions. The last one, looks promising. The information is very structured and the site owner sounds friendly. Unfortunately the information is more limited as they concentrate on only one platform. We will write to the site owner and find out the possibilities.
Rockin' Kat
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rockin' Kat »

Yeah.... NintendoAge looks pretty promising.... from what I understand they're very busy with a lot of things, but they are working on lists for other Nintendo systems besides the NES.

Out of curiosity, is there something lacking in AtariAge's rarity guides that would make it difficult to work with? I've almost always been able to reach them via AIM when I've had issues connecting to their website.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It was just a feeling that NintendoAge would be more open to the idea of creating an API so that a computer could communicate with the information.
nintendo_age
Inductee
Inductee

Post by nintendo_age »

Hey everyone, this is Dain, the owner of NintendoAge.com -- I received a message from Conor, so I thought I'd stop by. That said, greetings!

I'm always looking for ways to spread the word about our site, and this seems like a great opportunity. I've already been working on an API for NintendoAge (via REST, similar to Amazon, Half, and eBay), but what I'd like to know is what types of interfaces you'd like to see. I'm likely seeing data from a collector's point-of-view, so it would be refreshing to get ideas for other uses, in hopes of making it useful to more than this niche.

We are in the process of expanding to other Nintendo platforms, and you can see the data on our sandbox site, which will be going live very soon (sandbox.nintendoage.com). Not all of the data is "live ready", but we're very close to having most Nintendo platforms fully indexed. It's taken us a while to get our data populated because of the searchability we provide on the site, but I think long term, it's for the better.

At any rate, I look forward to hearing any ideas you may have, and to let you know that I fully support your efforts. I'll make it happen on my end.

-Dain
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you Dain for stopping by. Very exciting to hear that you are actually already working on an API. Since NintendoAge.com is still rapidly developing there are a lot of possibilities for integration. Great news that you planning on expanding to other platforms, one of the feature request we hear a lot is a way to add content information for downloadable games, such as WiiWare, Xbox Live... Another is the ability to keep track of the new achievements available within each game. Not quite the direction of NintendoAge but something to keep in mind for the future.