Make-your-own-pedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Make-your-own-pedia

Post by thajeztah »

The other day I was trying to help out a friend who kept his stamp-collection (postalstamps) in a Excel-sheet.
He put a lot of time in it to keep his Excel-sheets up-to-date, add images etc etc. But it just didn't add up.

When I showed him how I kept track of my collections (Books, CDs, DVDs) he was simply astonished (wow, but if I want to 'print' it?... ah.. wow, and you can keep it with your on your iPod .. mmm.. smart collections.. joy!).

Although I couldn't urge him to make the big switch (*cough* windows user..) and (mis)use one of the Pedias for his stamp collection , It -did- make me think;

Would it be an idea to release another 'Pedia: 'Make-your-own-Pedia' (AnyPedia?) A pedia where -all- fields have custom labels and no specific connection a online databases/datasources. It seems to me that all the technology for this is already present in the 'Pedias and is fairly simple to accomplish.

This way people can make their own database for -any- kind of collection (Stamps, Sugar bags, Teddy bears just name it).
Just name the fields to your liking (or, even better, add export/import options for fieldname settings so that people can share their 'template').

Having the simplicity of Pedia (compared to solutions like Bento, FileMaker, 'Excel') may be a welcome solution for many collectors :)
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Make-your-own-pedia

Post by Nora »

This has definitely come up before and "Blankpedia" is still very much on our list of apps we'd like to write in the future. Thanks for adding your vote!
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Nora wrote:This has definitely come up before and "Blankpedia" is still very much on our list of apps we'd like to write in the future. Thanks for adding your vote!
Sorry, didn't look that far back on the forum. At least 'bumped' the idea a bit up on the forum for those people looking for it :P
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Before this thread I wouldn't have know "blankpedia" would be a good search keyword for this topic. :)
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

Neither would I.... Whateverpedia? mychoicepedia? thingspedia?

Also, on the topic of anotherpedia, will you release a boardgamepedia? I have no time to do anything about it, but I know for a fact that there is no board games listing software on OSX, and that would be great: many Toy libraries are linked to schools around here, and schools use OSX...

Midori
noribori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by noribori »

Since there wouldn't be online databases involved, the point of such an "Anypedia" might be better input options for selected fields.

I once tried to get the cast of a movie (which wasn't yet on IMDb) into DVDpedia. I was glad to get the list from the movie's website, I was glad I could easily turn spaces into tabs or commas with my text editor, but in the end I typed in each name separately because pasting the list didn't work.
So, maybe the other pedias could benefit from the development of an "Anypedia" too.