Pocketpedia2 missing content

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Pocketpedia2 missing content

Post by scooter64 »

Hello,

Absolutely cannot live without Pocketpedia and DVDpedia! Awesome job with both. Just fyi, I've got over 2200 entries and the speed loading is still amazing! :D

Today I updated both my iphone and mac to the latest version, and since that update having problems just with Pocketpedia2.

The entries are all there, just as in original 1.0 Pocketpedia. It's just that many entries have just a small sampling of the information (Aspect Ratio, Country, Discs, Last Seen). In fact some entries show only a 4-5 bits of info entries, and others show the full amount (identical info that is in the DVDpedia). Yet, when you look at the DVDpedia, that particular film has all information fields completed. They just don't show up on Pocketpedia2.

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what entry will show partial and which show full details. (IE doesn't matter if it's a movie I've rated etc.)

I've tried to use the OPTION button when syncing, so the the entire database is re-synced to the iphone. But that has not helped.

Any ideas, or has anyone else experienced missing movie details in PocketPedia2?

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE

OOPS! Sorry, I think I've found the answer to my dilemma! Am I correct to assume the missing information in my Pocketpedia2 is information supplied by Amazon.com? If so, this is disappointing to say the least!

I wasn't aware that the past few months there had been any problems with the original Pocketpedia, as mine was working terrific. Yikes, this is terrible news, and I hope that amazon comes around to see that this truly benefits them with increased sales etc.

Secondly, I noticed DVDpedia 4.5.4 has a NEW URL field, on page two of any profile, right below "features" field. What is the purpose of this field? Sorry, cannot locate any information on this change.

Thanks guys.... :)
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Pocketpedia2 missing content

Post by Alex »

I guess you missed the whole Pocketpedia "party" :)

http://bruji.com/articles/2009/07/17/by ... cketpedia/
http://bruji.com/articles/2009/07/17/by ... hello-451/
http://bruji.com/articles/2009/07/24/op ... eff-bezos/

...in case you want to read more about it.

Yes, your assumption is correct.

The URL field will allow you to paste any URL in there, for example, a link to that particular entry in an external web site. By clicking the @ sign next to it the URL will open in an external browser.
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

Dear all,

I was really happy with Pocketpedia and I've got an issue with version 2....

With version 1, I had Amazon info on the first tab:

and my own text in the second tab:

I perfectly understand that the Amazon info is now gone in version 2 and I really don't mind....but I am not really understanding why under the left icon:

My own text is now replaced by a text saying:
"This item contains Amazon info - the data was not synch"

How come it doesn't synch...while in version 1 (still installed in my iPod) I can still see my text...

Should I move all my texts in another field so it appears?
I've upgraded my pedia to 4.5.4 in between....should I downgrade to have my own data synch'ed as before?

Many thanks for your help

Axel
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

You don't see the information because the entry contains info from Amazon, so it will not transfer to Pocketpedia, even if you added your own comments to an entry that already contains Amazon information, you will not see your comments. For example, if you get the entry from Amazon, say Midnight Run, and it brings in as actors Robert De Niro, but not Charles Grodin. You then open the entry in DVDpedia, add Charles Grodin by hand and sync, you will not see any of the actors because you got that field from Amazon initially.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

So, we would need to RE-DO each and every AMAZON created DVD profile in our DVDpedia, and replace it with strictly IMDB information (or manually entering yourself), and only then EVERY detail (from aspect ratio to running time) will show up in Pocketpedia2. Man that would be hours of work, just to get that information back in there! :evil:

What if we simply remove the Amazon URL in the edit entry window, I guess that won't make any difference?

I'm sorry that I updated from my original Pocketpedia. It's incredible that Amazon execs are ignoring you. I am really steamed about this. It makes no sense that they ALLOW their information to be used in the desktop program, but not in a mobile app. It's the same friggin' program in the end.

What if we had a signed petition, similar to the Roger's iPhone backlash in Canada? Would that help your (our) cause?
Axel
Captain
Captain

Post by Axel »

ok thanks for the explanation Alex...

But I must say that pocketpedia2 is really useless then....

I'll delete it and keep version one...and downgrade my pedia to the previous version...That is really a shame

EDIT: I must say that thanks to pocketpedia I don't buy anymore duplicates....so I am still really, really pleased with it...Thanks for the hard work
Last edited by Axel on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

One man's trash in another man's treasure :)

It is very unfortunate that Amazon changed their policy and forced us to create a new application that didn't sync their data. Originally we weren't going to bother developing it because we figured most users would not want to use it then. To our surprise, a lot of our users requested a version that would not sync Amazon info so we ended up developing it
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Alex wrote:To our surprise, a lot of our users requested a version that would not sync Amazon info so we ended up developing it
And I appreciate you doing that -- thanks!