How do *you* handle certain stuff in Bookpedia?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

How do *you* handle certain stuff in Bookpedia?

Post by jenv »

Wrt anthologies, I've been putting the editor in the Author field because it's simpler and makes sorting work out right, but I was wondering what y'all did for your collections. Unfortunately there's no way to to make it work "right" if you leave Author empty and keep the editor in the Editor field. You get entries in your collections that look bad/erroneous because there's nothing in the Author column. I supposed I could put "Anthology" in the Author field, but that lacks elegance.

Comics. How are you organizing them? I've been entering them with "Comic" in the Format field and have a Smart Collection matching on that. Then come titles like Absolute Dark Knight that confound my scheme, because they're hardcover editions. You can't put both "Hardcover" and "Comic" in Format. You can't really put Comic in Genre, because it isn't: Superhero, Horror, or Science Fiction are all Genres of comics. Comic isn't really a type of binding either, because you can have perfect-bound or hardbound comics as well as stapled. Unfortunately Hardcover or Paperback are being overloaded to imply both a "binding type" and "book". Do I need 3 fields? Then you'd have "paperback book western" and "perfect-bound comic superhero".

I've also been using Bookpedia for a few things it really isn't designed for: board and card games. Gamepedia is really designed for electronic games. I've been overloading Format with "Card Game" and "Board Game" to herd things into Smart Collections, and using Series to group core games plus supplements (RoboRally, Supremacy, Talisman, etc). How have you done it?
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: How do *you* handle certain stuff in Bookpedia?

Post by Alex »

For Comics, you could always use a Custom Field named "Comics" and then have a Smart Collection where "Comics contains 1" (or yes, or whatever you'd like).

I think this way is a lot easier and you don't give up the Format or Genre fields. Custom fields can also be used for Anthologies or anything else you'd like.