Unread books

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Strudel
Contributor
Contributor

Unread books

Post by Strudel »

This may be exceedingly simple but I haven't found it yet - is there a way of simply tagging books as unread? The idea would be to then create a smart collection of unread books (to keep me going)...

Also, is there a way of actually customising the custom fields? Ie instead of the column being named "Custom 1" can it be renamed to something like "Language" (which would be another good option to include anyway, imo)?

Many thanks for a great set of products!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Unread books

Post by Conor »

You can tag books that have been read using the last read field. Even if your not interested in the actual date, it allows you to use the shortcut commands to mark a book "Edit --> Mark As --> Read Today". Then a smart collection with "Last Read is [leave empty]" would show all the books yet to be read. The same of course can be done with a custom field if you prefer.

You can update the title of the custom fields in the preferences under the "General" tab.

Thank you for pointing out that "Language" would be a good addition as a new field.
Strudel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Strudel »

Many thanks for the prompt response! I managed to change the column headings easily.

However, your suggestion for the "unread" marking is a workaround that won't work for me. I have plenty of books that I have read years ago but not marked. I would have liked to highlight unread books directly rather than them being the residual of what I have read...
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Any reason you couldn't simply assign an Unread tag to books you want marked that way?
Strudel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Strudel »

sjk wrote:Any reason you couldn't simply assign an Unread tag to books you want marked that way?
I'd love to - how?

Sorry if this obvious to others...
Strudel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Strudel »

Figured it out. Great - Thanks.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

I wasn't sure if you already knew about tags, which is why I only asked and didn't suggest how to actually use them. :)
Last edited by sjk on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strudel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Strudel »

All good - many thanks!