Working FTP Export or Android App...

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ella

Working FTP Export or Android App...

Post by ella »

Hello,
I try to get the FTP export to my web server to work. There is no documentation for the syntax how to input the server name and the folders in the respective fields. I permanently receive the error "FTP information is missing or incorrect". The help file sounds as if the FTP export works only from time to time („all servers are different, if your server does not work, try...“)

How to make that work?

General aim is to make the library available and sync it on my Android phone. Local files won't work on Android, so I'd like to have it on my server. Any other ideas? Maybe an app?

Thanks for any answer.

j.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Working FTP Export or Android App...

Post by Conor »

We left the details on the FTP vague as, there are so many formats and settings for each specific server. The server field is most likely ftp.yourdomain.com while the user field is your email address me@yourdomain.com. Password is self explanatory and the site path you can leave as a folder name. However, if you are having trouble getting the FTP to work you can use the HTML export and then use the regular way of accessing your server to upload the resulting exported folder to achieve the same results.
ella

Post by ella »

Thanks for the answer. Strangely, I got the FTP upload to work with a free webhosting service, but not with my personal server that I use for many years :-| maybe something with ACTIVE/PASSV mode or such…

I'd prefer the FTP because it's really nice if it would sync, because all the book titles are pretty much data already, and as the normal HTML export always seems to choose new file names on each export (this would be a feature request for me ;-)), so I cannot choose an option like "only the last 10 items I added, including image no. 380-390.

Thx anyway,

j.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The HTML export does redo all the html files as even adding one item might shift all the other items depending on the sorting and style of export. As for the images the HTML export will set the original images modification date so that you can use "mirror/sync" in FTP programs like Transmit to only upload the changes and not the entire export.