Export to iPhone

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
FineWine
Site Admin

Export to iPhone

Post by FineWine »

What is the best way to export DVD & Book lists to an iPhone 4.

I am looking at doing the lists as PDF's then installing PDF Reader App http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-read ... 41632?mt=8

Or is there a better 'pedia' way of doing this.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Export to iPhone

Post by Nora »

That should work fine. For some more ideas, take a look at this blog post as well as this threadhere in the Forum.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Nora - I have found two ways to do this. Both require iOS 4.* and iBooks 1.1 which will handle the PDF format.

Method 1 - Export - Text - SmallList (edited as MyPhoneList):

Code: Select all

<!--BeginRepeat-->[key:title] <!--IFcustom1(B[key:custom1])ENDcustom1--><!--IFcustom3(G[key:custom3])ENDcustom3-->
<!--EndRepeat-->
Then opened this rtf file up in TextEdit changed font to Arial, Bold, size 64. Now save as PDF in portrait aspect and add to iTunes library and sync into iBooks on the iPhone.

The problem with this method is that I found I had to choose font size 64 to be able to read it on the iPhone without strain and of course it is just a list without artwork.

Can I code for the Font, type face and size into the my MyPhoneList template, if so what is the code for this?

Method 2 - Print - Templates - SmallCovers - Portrait aspect and save as PDF and add to iTunes library and sync into iBooks on the iPhone.

Again we have the problem of viewable size on the iPhone where it is too small. Can I edit the SmallCovers template? if so where is it?

I would prefer a template with artwork - it just looks nicer.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is good news on the new iBooks handling PDF properly.

You can code the font sizes into the RTF template by opening up MyPhoneList in TextEdit and applying the changes and saving them directly to the template file.

To modify the SmallCovers template you will find it inside the program package at DVDpedia.app/Contents/Resources/Templates/Printing SmallCovers.html, create a copy in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Templates with a new name (PrintingiBooks.html) for the file and modify away. Keep the "Printing" prefix on the new file name to have the template show up under the print panel (instead of HTML export) where you can save as PDF directly.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thank you Nora - I will give it go. But will have to wait a couple of weeks as I am of overseas. Of course all this will not be necessary if Amazon would come to the party. Oh well can not wait till the new release of Pocketpedia.

Cheers