Sort problem !

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Sort problem !

Post by PascalB »

The new name format is relatively acceptable but not really useful !

I have many bands with a name like "Noir désir" or "Lynyrd Skynyrd" for which Noir or Lynyrd is not the first name and Désir or Skynyrd is not the family name? That's a problem because whatever the kind of sort you choose is not acceptable and not correct :?

Could you help to bypass this ?

Thanks ?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Sort problem !

Post by Nora »

What would you sort "Noir désir" and "Lynyrd Skynyrd" under? You can always use the 'Sort Artist' field to tell the program how exactly you want a particular artist sorted. (If you don't see the field turn it on in the Preferences/Fields.)
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Nora wrote:What would you sort "Noir désir" and "Lynyrd Skynyrd" under? You can always use the 'Sort Artist' field to tell the program how exactly you want a particular artist sorted. (If you don't see the field turn it on in the Preferences/Fields.)
I do not know if my english is good enough to explain well my problem :oops:

In fact if I want Lynyrd Skynyrd well sorted à L, I need to sort my artists by firstname which is not what I want because it is not the way to sort by names and if I sort my artists by family name, Lynyrd Skynyrd will be placed à S which is also not good. And it is the same for a lot of artists like Black Sabbath, Dire Straits, Gun's n' Roses, Mercury Rev, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin...

Just two small examples :

Sorted by first name (in my opinion, completely without interest, who should do that ?) :
Black Sabbath = correct
Blue Oyster Cult = correct
Blur = correct
Bob Marley = Marley is well the first name, but I want it sorted at M, not à B
Bob Dylan = idem Dylan is well the first name, but I want it sorted at D, not à B
Bon Jovi = correct

Sorted by family name (normally, the only one way to sort by name) :
Joe Cocker = correct
Leonard Cohen = correct
Coldplay = correct
Bad Company = not correct, Company is not a family name, it should be sorted at B
The Cranberries = correct
King Crimson = correct
Sherryl Crow = correct
Blue Oyster Cult = not correct, Cult is not the family name, it should be sorted at B

How can I solve this ?
In fact, I think I preferred the previous version in term of name management. The new way to write <Firstname, Family name> instead of <Family name, First name> doesn't make me happy, it is not visually satisfactory and not the usual format to sort authors or artists :oops:

Many thanks !
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

This is where the 'Sort Artist' field comes in that I mentioned in my previous post. Turn that field on in the Preferences/Fields and then use it to tell the program exactly how you want it to sort certain artists. So for example you'd sort your Artist column by first name and then for entries that don't fit this sorting you'd enter an alternative into the 'Sort Artist' field. For "Bob Marley" you'd enter "Marley" into the field, for "Bob Dylan" you'd enter "Dylan" into the field etc. That way the program can take those into account when sorting the artist column the next time.

Of course you can also sort your artist column by last name (hold down the Option key and re-sort the column) and then enter information into the Sort Artist field for those entries that are special such as "Blue" for "Blue Oyster Cult" or "Bad" for "Bad Company".
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Nora wrote:This is where the 'Sort Artist' field comes in that I mentioned in my previous post. Turn that field on in the Preferences/Fields and then use it to tell the program exactly how you want it to sort certain artists. So for example you'd sort your Artist column by first name and then for entries that don't fit this sorting you'd enter an alternative into the 'Sort Artist' field. For "Bob Marley" you'd enter "Marley" into the field, for "Bob Dylan" you'd enter "Dylan" into the field etc. That way the program can take those into account when sorting the artist column the next time.

Of course you can also sort your artist column by last name (hold down the Option key and re-sort the column) and then enter information into the Sort Artist field for those entries that are special such as "Blue" for "Blue Oyster Cult" or "Bad" for "Bad Company".
Oups, I had read to fast last time and I had not understood what the Sort Artist Field is. Now I am going to lay with it and it looks like what I really need :mrgreen:

Just two last questions, there is no automatic fill-in for this field and do I have to fill-in for every record ?

Thnaks again :!:
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

there is no automatic fill-in for this field and do I have to fill-in for every record
No, there is no automatic fill in for this field since it is specifically for entries that are sorted different from the regular sort already applied in the Artist column so you have to choose what to add to the field. You do not have to fill it in for every record, only those that you want sorted differently than the regular sorting would apply.
PascalB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PascalB »

Hello everyone, it has been a long time :mrgreen:

With the new update, I have a new sort problem that I can not solve.

It's concerns a Composer. I have three Bach : Johann Christian Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach & Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach.
My sort is on Chef, Title and Composer.
Carl Philipp is OK, he is in the first position but I don't know why but Johann Christian is in the full middle of all my Johann Sebastian records.
I tried to use the Sort Artist field with the full nam, with the second first name, with both, it doesn't change anything :(

Could you help me one more time ?

Many thanks,

Pascal
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Can you please send us your Database.cdpd file since these issues are always easier to deal with having the data directly in front. You'll find the file in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd. Please archive the file before sending it to save space. (Select it and choose 'Archive' or 'Compress' from the File menu. That'll create a new file called 'Database.cdpd.zip' which you can then attach to the email.)

If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your CDpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear.