Save info to databse w/out having to quit the App (for sync)

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Gabe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Save info to databse w/out having to quit the App (for sync)

Post by Gabe »

I recently put my dvdpedia on my dropbox so I'd have access to it everywhere.
However I noticed the application doesn't fully write the changes we made until after we've closed the application.

This can create conflicts which happened recently when I entered titles on a Mac and left the App opened. I entered new titles on the other computer and only after I noticed syncing hadn't been done.

So is there a way to simply make the application write the changes automatically to the database without having to quit the app? Perhaps a script or something that would tell it to save the changes after a few minutes, or right after having imported a new title. Or a setting I'm missing?

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Save info to databse w/out having to quit the App (for s

Post by Conor »

Hi Gabe,

Thank you for all the details. Do try out the beta for better Drop Box support. DVDpedia does save immediately after any changes are made to a movie. However, it does not save trivial changes until quit, such as the sorting order. The change in the beta is that DVDpedia was saving the selection as well into the database (to sync last selected in the future over iCloud to the mobile device), but the selection changes often and so we moved were this information is stored so that the file does not change unless the information for a collection or movie actually changes. This allowing for browsing of data without changes that would otherwise create unnecessary conflict in a Drop Box file.
Gabe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Gabe »

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the information.
I tested the beta and it seems to be behaving the same.

I surveyed with both the current and beta versions what is going on in my dropbox when I add a new title in dvdpedia.
When I click "Add" after my search, the only changes that's being saved in the database in my dropbox is the cover.
It's only when I quit the App that I can see dvdpedia writing changes to "Databse.dvdpd"

From the activity I've been tracking, the App doesn't seem to be saving changes immediately after they're being made.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Dropbox must have changed the way they handle database archives and must be waiting for the program to quit before syncing the changes. Here is a test version that will print out information into the console log as it does saves, so that you can monitor the console log as well and see the that DVDpedia is indeed saving after you close the add window (it does not save immediately on add in case you add more than one item, although must users have that preference off and adding also closes the window). Interesting to know this about Dropbox as it makes sense that they would want to avoid conflicts by waiting for SQLite3 type database files to be done with to avoid taking up unnecessary space with several versions.
Gabe
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Gabe »

Forgive me for my newbiness but how do I acccess this console log?

On a side note, recent titles added from imdb don't pick up the producer's credit and some other info as well.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

Thanks for the head's-up on the IMDb issue, we'll take a look at that.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Make sure the "Produced By" preference is checked for the plugin under DVDpedia->Preferences->Sites and double click the little gear button on the right side of the IMDb plug-in listing. Since the information is no longer on the main page it's not included by default.