Paying twice?! Re-register. Upgrade. New computer.

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
brighteyes86
Contributor
Contributor

Paying twice?! Re-register. Upgrade. New computer.

Post by brighteyes86 »

I got a 'new' mac, and I went to re-download the 'pedias, but when I put in my serial numbers, I got a message saying I had to upgrade. I've had Book- and DVDpedia for a few years now, and I love them. I've never upgraded- The program never prompted me, I don't keep up with the forum news, and if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it.

I don't care about the upgrade, but I'm being prompted for my credit card info. Am I really going to have to pay for these programs twice? I surely hope not. I loaded my iThing with my old version of MS Office. I didn't have to pay for Office twice. Paid my Comcast bill. Didn't have to pay the activation fee again. I got my oil changed last week. Didn't have to pay for the car again. I could go on, if you like.

I searched the forums, but either this is a one-off problem unique to me (not likely) or I'm not using the right keywords when I search. Should I have included invectives? I'm trying very hard not to get angry, but the more I search for a solution, the more it seems like I am getting ripped off.

Do I have to upgrade? I don't have access to the programs on my old mac- hence, why it's old.
Do I have to pay to upgrade?
Is the website assuming that I'm trying to filch product? I can forward somebody my original registration emails...
Is this all a colossal misunderstanding? If so, please tell me how I can re-register a product that I already own.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Paying twice?! Re-register. Upgrade. New computer.

Post by Nora »

We charge for large upgrades periodically and the upgrade to version 5 brought a lot of big changes to the programs. (Version 2 to version 3 was a paid upgrade too.) But the upgrade is not mandatory, you can stick with version 4 for as long as you like. Download version 4.6.8 here.

Make sure after you downgrade to version 4.6.8 you delete the data files for version 5 (Database.dvdpd for DVDpedia and Database.bookpd for Bookpedia) so that if you ever do decide to update, the programs will be forced to do this from your 4.6.8 files. You will find the files in the Pedia data folders, located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia and Bookpedia.

If you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, the Library folder is hidden by default so to go to your Pedia data folders you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/ into the window that appears.
brighteyes86
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Paying twice?! Re-register. Upgrade. New computer.

Post by brighteyes86 »

Oh my goodness, thank you! I was about to go spare.