[DVDPedia] Can't find "Orginal Title" field

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

[DVDPedia] Can't find "Orginal Title" field

Post by .jan »

Hi there,
i was really happy to read on the changelog that with the update to v4.0 a new "Original Title" field was introduced to DVDPedia. But where is it?
I hardly can't find it in the edit-dialog. Am i too stupid, blind or is i really missing.. or at least very nicely hidden...

Cheers and keep on the good work,
.jan
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Click on the 'Show All' button in the Add/Edit field. By default those fields that don't contain information are hidden in the window to avoid clutter. But once you have chosen to 'Show All' the fields will stay visible until you choose 'Hide Empty' again.
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by .jan »

Thx for the quick answer Nora. I'd already found that button before and indeed it does what it says, all the empty fileds show up. But a field named "Originaltitel" (I'm from germany) or at least "Original Title" is still missing...
Kinda Strange, but true.. I took a screenshot of the edit-dialog where i thought the field should have shown up. (Of Course id also checked all the other tabs)

Screenshot
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I'm sorry, that was our fault - we really did hide the field. It isn't turned on by default so you have to go into your Preferences/Add&Edit and check the box next to 'Original Title'.
If you have the Add/Edit window open while you did this you'll have to close it and reopen it for the Original Title field to appear. Sorry for the confusion.
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by .jan »

Ahhh... now i got it; thx a lot for the help.

Just while i have you're attention.. I had one of the custom fields used for the "Original Title" Information. Is there any way to copy the data from that field to the new build in field besides of doing all by hand for each title?

Cheers,
.jan
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you thought the original title field was hidden then you're going to like the steps for this one.

First of all, as with all mass modifications of the database, make a copy of it for backup. Find the file inside your home folder at ~/Library/Applications Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata and duplicate it to create a backup copy.

Quit DVDpedia and open a terminal window (the Terminal program is in /Applications/Utilities, double clicking it will open a window). In the window enter the following command:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata
This will open the database for editing with SQLite. When you get the prompt sqlite>, enter the following command to move your custom field to the original title field (you have to change the value of the number in zcustom1 to match the custom field number you are using):

update zEntry set zoriginalTitle = zcustom1 where zoriginalTitle is null;
Then close it with:

.exit
Quit Terminal and launch DVDpedia. Inside DVDpedia, if all went well, you can select all the entries and perform a multiple edit to blank out the custom field in order to remove the original title information from the custom field and regain the field (check the box for the custom field in multi edit and leave the field blank).

The command for moving the original title only performs a move if the original title field is empty. If you want to run the more drastic command and replace the original title with the custom field value no matter what, then it would be without the where clause:

update zEntry set zoriginalTitle = zcustom1;
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by .jan »

Thank you very many ;)

I'll give that a try when i have some time ofr it. It is great to know that i can mass-edit the DVDPedia Database unsing standard SQL-commands. This will help me a lot with some other Things i had in mind but always refused to do by hand.

Keep it going, your Tools are ownderfull.

..by the way, i'd gave the new Delicious Library a test-drive to see what's going on there.. and let me tell you something, the Pedias are definatly the much more powerfull product!

Cheers,
.jan
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

I used "custom field 1" to hold the German title of films (appropriately renamed to "Deutscher Titel") and the "title"-field for the original title.

So ... what would be the steps for me? I guess first I should move the date from "title" to the new "original title" field. And then the data from "custom field 1"/"Deutscher Titel" to "title"?
.jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by .jan »

Hi udo,

you can move the data from "title" to "original title" via

update zEntry set zoriginalTitle = ztitle;
Then you can move the data from "custom field 1" to "title" with

update zEntry set ztitle = zcustom1;
But always backup your database before doing stuff like this, its fairly asy to mess things up ;)

Cheers,
.jan
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

Thanks! That worked like a charme. Now I feel the need to tidy up and remove all data from "Deutscher Titel/Custom Field 1" and rename it to ... well ... "Custom Field 1"! :lol:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Remember you can blank out a field for all DVDs by using the multi-edit function by selecting all the records and choosing edit.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

Cool, thank you.