auto-save!

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Alba
Contributor
Contributor

auto-save!

Post by Alba »

Tonight I attempted to wake my sleeping PowerBook G4 running OS 10.4.11, but found I had to restart it. After rebooting, when I opened Bookpedia (4.1.3), I discovered that all the work I had done in the program this afternoon had not been stored.

When I use AppleWorks 6.1.3 (produced five years ago) or Microsoft Office 2004, after a crash I am given the option to use a recovered version of the file. When I use Reunion 9, after a crash I discover all of the entries I've made are contained in the database.

I suggest that Bookpedia have an "auto-save" option for the database, as well as a manual option for the user to store the database -- right now the only obvious way to do this is to quit and re-open Bookpedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Alba,

What kind of work had you done in Bookpedia? The program saves automatically after most operations: when you create a new collection, when you close the edit panel, when you add a new book, when a book is borrowed or returned. I have added another auto-save when you switch to another application into the next version, so that simple changes like dragging a book to a new collection are not lost, in a case like yours. Thank you for the feedback.
Alba
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Alba »

I created a new collection. More significantly in terms of the work I missed, in an existing collection I edited the "Comments" field for multiple books and checked the "Sold" box on those same books (I'm using the Sold box as a kluge until we get custom checkboxes, but that shouldn't make a difference); for these changes, I didn't call up the Edit window, but instead changed the fields directly while Bookpedia was in its "spreadsheet" mode.

The new collection as well as the changes in the existing collection were all lost. I did switch to other applications several times after using Bookpedia before putting the PowerBook to sleep, so maybe the next version will prevent this behavior?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you Alba for the details. It's true that editing in spreadsheet mode does not save as the edit window is never opened, will add add the save to that edit as well. Thank you.