Numbering my movies

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Numbering my movies

Post by udo »

In my german version of DVDpedia I have a field called "Sammlungs-ID" (Collection-ID"?). Can I put anything there? What does the rest of you think is a good way to number my collection? My plan is:

0003a
0003b

e.g.: The a and b would be for movies who have 2 discs

Could I add a numbering like

A0001
A0002

If I put some movies in another place?

Does that make sense? Is it logical?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Numbering my movies

Post by Nora »

All your ideas are possible - DVDpedia will take whatever system you give it (A001, A002,... or 001, 002, 003,...) and apply that to the selected DVDs. The only part where you're going to run into a little problem is the 003a and 003b lettering for those entries that have more than one disk. You'll have to append the a and b manually.
If you open the 'Inkrementale Sammlungs-ID' menu option, found under the Edit menu, you can tell the program to automatically apply the system and keep it going for any entries you add in the future.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

Nora wrote:DVDpedia will take whatever system you give it (A001, A002,... or 001, 002, 003,...) and apply that to the selected DVDs. The only part where you're going to run into a little problem is the 003a and 003b lettering for those entries that have more than one disk. You'll have to append the a and b manually.
I noticed that this isn't a problem. Every movie in my pedia has one entry, it's only the discs that may carry the a, b, c ... :)

But what about the idea with the leading "A" (e.g. DVDs that are not in the basement, but instead the "drawing room"? If DVDpedia automatically numbers my movies, will it accept it when I change an ID at will (assuming the number doesn't already exist for another entry)?
If you open the 'Inkrementale Sammlungs-ID' menu option, found under the Edit menu, you can tell the program to automatically apply the system and keep it going for any entries you add in the future.
As I don't want to shuffle my DVDs, I plan to manually enter the numbers. But when I'm done I can tell DVDpedia: "From now on apply my system automatically"? Awsome :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

But what about the idea with the leading "A" (e.g. DVDs that are not in the basement, but instead the "drawing room"? If DVDpedia automatically numbers my movies, will it accept it when I change an ID at will (assuming the number doesn't already exist for another entry)?
DVDpedia will not second guess what you tell it should be the next ID. So when you change from A to B you have to be sure to change the number to also be the next B you would like entered. If you set the next ID to be B005 then DVDpedia will use B005 and then B006 even if other movies already have that ID. DVDpedia has a location field that might be more suitable for the B and A, leaving the ID to be an incrementing number no matter where the DVD might be located. You can always join that information together to read B005 in an export if necessary. The program is very flexible so it's a question of experimenting to see what works out for you.
From now on apply my system automatically
But remember to change the number from B to A when you change from entering movies in in the basement to entering movies in the drawing room.

On a personal note I am more of post processing person so I use the feature after I add several movies. I keep collections for the different areas and I add the movies to those collections directly by selecting the collection. Afterwards I sort by collection ID so that those newly added movies with no collection ID come to the top, I select them and tell the incremental collection ID feature to apply the id starting at my chosen id to the selected movies. I also use the multiple edit feature to change the location field on all those movies at once to "bottom shelf".
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

First: Thanks for all the quick replies. You folks code one of the best Mac apps, fix bugs and still find time to hang around in the forum. You must be some kind of super heroes. Like X-Men or the Justice League 8)
Conor wrote:DVDpedia will not second guess what you tell it should be the next ID.
I just noticed that. I entered the same number twice. It would be a nice (optional?) feature, if the Pedia would warn me. (Should I take it to "Feature requests" or "Bugs"?)
DVDpedia has a location field that might be more suitable
(Hand to forehead) Of course! :roll: I forgot about that. One problem less.

So, all works for me perfectly. Me happy. Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Like X-Men or the Justice League
That's why Conor's avatar has a little cape! Which looks more like a mustard stain, I know... But we don't have enough time to fix that. :)