[Gamepedia] Some small enhancements

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
sam
Contributor
Contributor

[Gamepedia] Some small enhancements

Post by sam »

Hi

I bought Gamepedia 4.2 and I'm loving it. There's a couple of tiny things I would like to see (mostly in relation to custom fields) added.

1. Custom field names aren't used in the statistics page. They come up as Custom0ne etc.
2. Choose what custom fields statistics show up on the statistics page.
3. Set a custom field as a check box like some inbuilt fields are.
4. Show a date picker on a custom field and maybe choose what format (like the release date format in the prefs)
5. Force a choice in a custom field (e.g. no text input, only the auto-fill entries).
6. Add more sources e.g. GameFaqs, MobyGames come to mind, even if limited to search by name

This is probably a bit too much to expect and I have no idea how to make it useable but I have to ask :wink:
7. Related to 6, ability to get data on a field-by-field basis from other sources. For example: Amazon never fills in the Developer field, only the publisher, as they don't have the data; or sometimes Amazon has most of what I want, but other places have better summary, etc. Even summaries between Amazon US and UK differ in quality a lot. Be cool to grab the US summary for the UK game.

Thanks for listening :)

sam
TheMatador
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: [Gamepedia] Some small enhancements

Post by TheMatador »

Number 7 is easy, add Games with Amazon US, and delete all the fields you want to get from Amazon UK (e.g. Summary) and make a Get Extra Info For Selection From ... and choose Amazon UK.
sam
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sam »

Cool, thanks for the tip. I didn't know about that!

sam
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. 2 through 5 we have added to our to do list. 3 and 4 are common request for Bookpedia and Gamepedia so we plan to add check box style and date style custom fields but it requires a database layout change (we group all those requests that affect the database to do them together in a big update). With 7 TheMatador gave you the best advice, what some users don't realize is that just like iTunes you can select a group of games and edit them all at once. Number 1 thank you for letting us know about the bug it is fixed. Thank you for pointing out Moby Games it's a clean website and I like that it's user generated like Wikipedia and IMDb, so I have included it as a plug-in.

You can wait for the official release in a few days or you can jump right in with the beta.
sam
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sam »

That's great! I'm so impressed. I can see that you listen to your customers :) Thanks for the amazing response.

I must admit I didn't know you could edit multiple items either, until yesterday when TheMatador's advice set me off exploring things.

I'm glad you're adding MobyGames, they are really amazing in their coverage, especially for obscure games (some of which I own!).

Thanks again Conor for such a quick response. I've owned this and DVDpedia for only a couple of days, and I haven't even touched DVDpedia yet. I'll try the beta immediately!