SIZE

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
pjaicomo
Inductee
Inductee

SIZE

Post by pjaicomo »

I am a pretty big audio collector. The bulk of my collection is comprised of CDs, but I have a substantial collection of vinyl, and even a few cassettes and minidiscs (boo-yah) - and DVDs and even books (Kozelek).

I just bought CDPedia last night after much comparison of it and Delicious Library 2 (congratulations Bruji!), and I thought I would suggest a few up front considerations I used when making my choice (and some which almost steered me to Delicious Library).

Obviously, as has been said, DL is "eye candy," but I did not care so much about the stupid shelves or the cute importing and deleting actions (flames anyone?). The reason I settled on CD Pedia is because it is much more flexible, and I can add and edit much more freely. Thank you for that.

DL seems to have a better scanner that CDPedia, but whatever, I can work around that because half the time it is quicker to input it by hand or copy it from my current excel database than to get the damn upc the correct distance and angle away from the camera.

HOWEVER, the feature that almost stole me to the DL side of the road was their relative sizing of 12" vs. 10" vs. 7" vinyls vs. CDs vs. Tapes (which for some reason are sideways in DL - ie horizontal), etc.

I would really love it if CDPedia added a feature to resize the items in my collection to make them accurate to reality (ideally it would be automatic with a format field). That way I can browse and easily see what format I have - plus it looks really cool that way and its more representative. I know I can change the shape somewhat depending on the shape of the image file I use, but having the different vinyl sizes in addition to tapes and cds (maybe even minidiscs) would really steer more people to the Pedias!

If there is any way to manually add this feature, I would love to hear it!

Thanks,

Pat
Conor
Top Dog

Re: SIZE

Post by Conor »

Using different sizes for the different formats is an interesting idea we haven't played much with. Will keep it in mind when upgrading the cover view. You could manually change the covers to reflect the size of the format, but you will only see the aspect ratio difference, not the relative size difference. As CDpedia will resize a wide image to fit the width and a tall image to fit the height, in order to give the largest view of the cover possible, especially important when the cover view is set to a small image size. Some users have added a distinguishing effect by adding banners or colored borders to their images to set them apart based on personal preferences you could do this based on format. Thank you for the detailed feedback, it lets us know what is important to users.

I got my Minidiscs imported from Japan, back when it was cutting edge technology. I remember spending hours using the little scroll wheel to add all the song titles. I haven't used mine in years, last time I used it I was trying to figure out how to get the songs over to the iPod.
Crimson
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Crimson »

For me the Delicious Library is too shiny and I like the CDpedia looks and flexibility very much. But I have a quite big music collection too and it would be awesome if you could add different music formats (7", 10", 12", C-cassettes, MiniDiscs, etc.) to CDpedia. 8)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback.