multi-volume book series

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dagopher
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

multi-volume book series

Post by dagopher »

I'm adding a series of graphic novels to Bookpedia where there are MANY books in the series and there is a specific order to the books, but the books do not have any type of volume number in the titles (the Hellblazer books by Vertigo to be exact).

I would like to record data somewhere to indicate which book was first, which was second, etc, but I do not wish to add such information to the title field if it wasn't there when the data was imported from LOC or Amazon. (I could do that, but I don't wanna. ;) And yes, I could use one of the custom fields as well as a 'series order' column, but before I do are there any other recommendations to address this issue?

thx
Gopher.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

I can't answer the question you ask. But there is a related thing you may also like to do.

It is possible (see the help pages) to link items together, so that each has a reference to the others.

I would guess you would find this useful.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As you suggested, using a custom field or the series field for the series number, would be what I would recommend.

Code: Select all

Hellblazer 1
Hellblazer 2
Hellblazer 3
Lucifer 1
Lucifer 2
Bookpedia sorts 6 levels deep so depending on how detailed you want to get you could separate the information above. I personally for my comics use a "series number" custom field and the series field. This allows me to sort the series number and then the series giving the same ordering as having the information together but allowing me to split the information when doing an HTML export and have just a series number without the series name.
dagopher
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by dagopher »

Conor wrote:I personally for my comics use a "series number" custom field and the series field. This allows me to sort the series number and then the series giving the same ordering as having the information together but allowing me to split the information when doing an HTML export and have just a series number without the series name.
Thanks - I was thinking about something like this, but just wanted to see if I missed anything.

Gopher.
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Bruce »

2 cents worth, with inflation: I use the series column, then created a series number column. Then I sorted backwards ... (Nora told me to do it). I used series number as my first sort and all #1 were together etc. With over 1000 books in at that time it really sort of freaked me out ... I lost the author sort! Then I sorted by series, looking better ... then by author. Everything exactly the way I wanted it :D

I now sort and resort with confidence.

Just one note further, since I read several series. Whenever I hear about a new one coming I add it to bookpedia with a wanted tag.

Thus ends the comments from the remedial section.

bruce