Multiple Computer Syncing?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
lestatdelc
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Computer Syncing?

Post by lestatdelc »

I have both an iMac,and a McBookPro (and an iPhone). I initially downloaded all the pedias (I bought the full bundle) to my MacBook. Scanned and search entered my entire DVD, Game and finally books into them, and that all went pretty much without a hitch. Finally got the syncing to the iPhone all sorted out and it is all synced up. Now I want to have the pedias on my iMac, and have it synced to the same collection. Is here a computer to computer sync functionality? If not, how best do I share the collection information form my laptop to my iMac,and keep them both up-to-date going forward without having to do everything twice?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Multiple Computer Syncing?

Post by Conor »

There are many options. The best option if you have a shared hard drive is to link a single database to both programs. To select a database in a program launch the program while holding down the option key: then select choose database and navigate to the Database.pediadata file inside the data folder. Depending on your network setup you might have to move the data folder from it's default location in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia to a shared location. To move, copy the folder with DVDpedia not running and use the option key on program launch to specify the new location. DVDpedia will even merge changes done simultaneously. As with single access to the database and even more with concurrent access, be sure to backup your data folder.

Otherwise if you only make updates on one computer and the other is for browsing you could copy the entire data folder from the MacBookPro to the iMac from time to time.
fpapkoff

Post by fpapkoff »

In this case, would all linked files on the host computer be accessible from the second one ?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sadly not. The linked file are stored specific to a computer, as file:///Users/me/Movies/... So unless you copy the linked files over as well they can't be found. The exception to this is if the linked files are on a mounted drive for both computers, in this case both computers would see the same path file:///Volumes/MountedDrive/Movies/... Another option you can try is setting an alias from /Users/me/Movies on your second computer that points to the Movies folder in the first computer, that way creating a bridge. DVDpedia passes the files to the Finder to open, so I am not sure if the Finder will follow an alias path that points to a mounted volume, but it's worth a try.