identical album titles

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
KO2008

identical album titles

Post by KO2008 »

I just purchased CDpedia and imported my playlist from iTunes. I have a classical music collection and now any albums that have the same title, such as "Symphony 6" do not show up individually , but all of them as ONE album (regardless whether they are by Beethoven, Mahler, etc.). How do I make CDpedia distinguish between them?

I also have not been able to import my carefully scanned album art into CDpedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: identical album titles

Post by Conor »

CDpedia uses titles in order to find the albums as there is no album identifier in the information. Also matching the artist would give a lot of wrong results for albums that have various artists, such as compilations. The best way to split them is to copy paste the CD entry and then remove the tracks on each one that belong to the other album. We are looking at the Art work not being imported. In a few days will post a link here to a beta version so will print more information so that we can find out why the artwork for some users is not coming along.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I think I found the changes made to iTunes Applescript that were causing the import of the artwork to fail. Try out the latest beta. I also added more error logging, so if the artwork is still not being imported take a look at your console log for any information from CDpedia.
KO2008

Post by KO2008 »

Congratulations on the excellent improvements made to your software since my first posting. Artwork import works now flawlessly; however, it would still be great if the iTunes Playlist import function would give you a choice of either using Album Title or a different field such as Commentary or ASIN as identifier. I used to keep track of my music collection in FileMaker and to be able to distinguish between various recordings of the same symphony, for example, I started adding the ASIN into a Commentary field and use it as the identifying field, rather than having to change o all my album titles to "Mahler 8 - Boulez," "Mahler 8- Abbado," etc. I switched to CDPedia to be able to have it on my iPhone as well.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Ok I have a question.

I have a number of Rifftrax that I have purchased and this is how I have them tagged:

Title - Movie Title (Example: The Fifth Element)
Artist - Riffer (Example: Mike Nelson)
Album - Rifftrax

I have about 40 or so of these and they all have the Rifftrax album but different covers. Problem is, the import sorts them all as one album. So do I need to change the album name or is there something I am doing wrong.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Try out the beta that should take the compilation flag into account while importing. If the compilation flag is not set in iTunes and the Artist don't match then it will start a new album. Rifftrax is a special case a number of tracks might still go into the same album as they have the same album name and artist, so you may still have to update the album names on some.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Is this the same beta from a few days ago or an additional one?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

A new one.