New potential user

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Juha_Antero
Contributor
Contributor

New potential user

Post by Juha_Antero »

Hi,

Just now downloaded and had to start testing: iSight does read the bar code correctly, but search does not give any results. Am I missing something?

Regards
Juha
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: New potential user

Post by sjk »

Which app(s)? Are you sure you're using the correct barcode and it's being fully scanned? Sometimes the image is a bit narrow and it'll take me a few tries to get it right.
Juha_Antero
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Juha_Antero »

Sorry.. that's DVDPedia.

And I've checked the scanned barcode numbers against the code printed on the box: the software reads correctly. Checked with seven or eight movies.

And there is only one barcode as far as I can see.

Juha
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Thanks for the extra info. If the barcode is correctly scanned it sounds like the trouble really is with the searching. Do you ever get good matches or do they always fail? Does it work if you manually type the barcode number in the search box?

Here, I've changed preferences to limit searching to Amazon.com and IMDb (in that order) since those are the only sites of interest. You might want to adjust sites there, too, so at least when scanned searches fail it won't take as long.
Juha_Antero
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Juha_Antero »

Thank you, will try.
Juha

Update: Manual entry of the barcode number did not help, search result was zero.

Update: Manual entry: typed in the title of the same movie, searched within Amazon, and that works. So there. But the iSight feature would be convenient, especially since it is there...

Juha
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

One more thought …

In the Search Web dialog, make sure the "Limit to" menu is None. If it's set to Title, for example, then barcode searches won't match.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The EAN number changes from country to country and not all database carry the EAN number or have the possibility to search by it. If you happen to be in a country that we do not have a EAN search site for then there would be no results returned.
Juha_Antero
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Juha_Antero »

Which reminded me to update my profile: Finland. Finnish barcodes an issue then?

Juha
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Since manually entered the barcode searches don't work for you it seems to be an EAN lookup issue like Conor mentioned. If that could be fixed then iSight scanning should also work.
Juha_Antero
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Juha_Antero »

Alrighty, not a biggie, anyway, since entering the title manually produces results.
Thanks everyone,
bye for now
rgs
Juha
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Unfortunately, we do not have a Finish barcode search.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Selecting a title (in Safari and most other Cocoa apps) and using the Pedia > Search Selection With DVDpedia service (assigned to a keyboard shortcut) might be helpful in some situations.