z39.50 servers - how to search their data

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Eric
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

z39.50 servers - how to search their data

Post by Eric »

Hi,

Since I have some Lithuanian books in my library, I went to Bookpedia's Advanced>z39.50 servers menu and clicked on "possible servers". The search for ones for Lithuania led me to this http://irspy.indexdata.com/find.html?cq ... 10&_skip=0

There are two that are available. I put in new names and copied in the the z39.libis.lt and z39.lnb.lt domain names. Is there more that must be done to do a search of the data in those databases with Bookpedia? I can't seem to get any Lithuanian books to come up via Bookpedia's search, even though the books are recent and are in the databases whose z39 addresses I just added. Is this something where there needs to be a separate plug-in? (if so, I'm hopeless, since I have no clue how to make one).

I appreciate any help you can offer.

P.S. I did a search for "z39" and "z39.50" on the bruji.com website and was surprised that I got no hits? Seems like others would have asked. (Edit: when I did a search within the site, NOTHING came up; when I later googled, I got hits.... Strange.)
Last edited by Eric on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: z39.50 servers - how to search their data

Post by Eric »

Followup: I thought Bookpedia would search those z39 sites automatically, but I may be wrong (I'm new to Bookpedia and still trying to find out if it will do what I need). So...I clicked on the gear at the bottom of the page that said "No title found", and I selected one of the sites I just entered. I got this message: The application yazclient quit unexpectedly. And, of course, I got no data...

Edit: I am running Bookpedia 4.5.4 on Mac OS 10.5.7 (not Snow Leopard). That may be the problem since I see that 4.5.4 added "Universal yaz client for Snow Leopard".
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

This is indeed a compatibility issue; we're working on fixing it right now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Once the yazclient runs fine on 10.5 again, the format you want to use for the two sites mentioned would look like this:

National Library of Lithuania Online Catalogue: z39.lnb.lt:211/LNBKAT
Lithuanian Union Catalogue: z39.lnb.lt:libis/KNYGOS

When those are added to the list of z39.50 servers in your Bookpedia, you'll be able to choose them from the 'Sites' drop down menu in the search window or via the little gear button in the add/edit window.
Eric
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Eric »

Thank you. I've changed the data in my system and will await an update. Thanks! You folks are fast! :)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The problem with the z39.50 search is fixed and you can download Bookpedia once more here (still version 4.5.4).
Eric
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Eric »

Thank you! I installed the improved application file, and it doesn't crash. Great.

But I still can't get the searches to work. Any idea why? I did feel as if there was a mistake in the Lith. Union Catalogue URL you listed, so I changed it to z39.libis.lt:210/KNYGOS. But first I tried it the way you had it. The other one looks right. I tried searching only with those databases selected and I tried by entering the title and the author rather than just using the ISBN, and still no go. The ISBN I'm trying is 978-9955-03-444-5. The author is Juozas Jasaitis. The title is Per sutemas. Maybe you can help me out some more? I appreciate it a lot.
Eric
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Eric »

Does anyone else use Bookpedia to access Lithuania's National Library database? How do you do it? I still can't get any hits via Bookpedia. Another book to try is Patarlių žodynas, ISBN 9789986161783. It doesn't get found via Bookpedia, either.