Sorting WITH articles

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jarafe

Sorting WITH articles

Post by jarafe »

hello,

first of all i don't know how i found dvdpidia i was lost surfing the web and found it, in 3 days of trial i was converted, best find ever :D
i love the program just fighting with one litle thing i unlike almost everyone one whant the sorting to INCLUDE the articles is there any way of doing it withou having to use title sort and (using a exemple) for "the hunt for red october" use "thehunt for red october".

thx so much,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: loving your work guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Sorting WITH articles

Post by Nora »

I am very glad you were able to find DVDpedia and are enjoying it. We rely heavily on word of mouth and lost web surfers that stumble upon our great program.

It's so uncommon to include the articles in the sorting that there is no automatic way to turn it off. You must use the sort title field. However, by accessing the SQL database directly you can make adding "The" for a large database to the sort title painless.

Quit DVDpedia
Backup your database file in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata by making a copy.
Run Terminal and enter the following commands to add titles with "The" to the sort title field.

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.pediadata
update zEntry set zSortTitle = zTitle where ztitle like "The %";
.exit
Launch DVDpedia and sort the title column. There is no need to display the sort title but it must be turned on (checked) in the preferences under the fields tab. If you would like to do the same for "An" and "A" change the end of the middle line above and run those commands as well.

Thank you for the feedback and now that DVDpedia is so blazing fast will look at making article sorting a preference (it's hardcoded from many years ago for speed and minimalist UI reasons).
jarafe

Post by jarafe »

hello,

:oops: i know it's not very usual to use the articles but for me its a lot easyer to get to the movie i whant to see using the full title including the articles :oops:
Thx for the rapid and eficient responce it workd like a sharm :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i'm doing my best to promote dvdpedia (and the other pedias) all my mac user friends know about it now and part of them are already trialing

continue the great job, thx once more,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Loving your work guys :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for spreading the word, we really appreciate it.
gillesenvrac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gillesenvrac »

Hello,

I just would like the reverse : I am looking for a way to sort without the articles, but in French. I (finally) understood that the sorting order in English exclude the articles and I would like the same thing in French. Is it possible that I add this rule myself ?

Thanks a lot.

Gilles
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Go into the Preferences/General and check the option to 'Ignore foreign articles during title sort'. Then re-sort your Title column to have the program apply the new preference.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

jarafe wrote:hello,

... unlike almost everyone one whant the sorting to INCLUDE the articles is there any way of doing it withou having to use title sort and (using a exemple) for "the hunt for red october" use "thehunt for red october".
Using the underscore character is slightly more elegant - it's not so noticeable when you view the database. For example, The_Hunt For Red October. Not ideal I admit but the best you can do, easily, I think.

Kind Regards,

Keith
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

As long as you're going to rewrite the title, you might as well leave the original as is and then use the Sort Title column and rename that one. This way your original titles are untouched.