DVDpedia links don't open as fullscreen in VLC

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Wondercow
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia links don't open as fullscreen in VLC

Post by Wondercow »

I have VLC set to open files in fullscreen. This works as expected when I click on a linked file in DVDpedia's main window; however, when I select the files from DVDpedia's fullscreen browser they open in VLC in a window.

Is there any way to change this so that I can continue to be lazy and not manually hit CMD-F each time? :D

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia links don't open as fullscreen in VLC

Post by Conor »

The fullscreen uses a script so that it can make sure to go fullscreen. Seems the latest version of VLC requires the fullscreen command to have a window specified. DVDpedia beta 63 has been updated to launch fullscreen in the latest VLC. I have also exposed the VLC script should you want to make any customizations; it is located inside DVDpedia.app/Contents/Frameworks/Pediabase/Resources/VLC.applescript
Wondercow
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Wondercow »

Thank you; that solved the issue. Though this now brings up another question: Is it possible to leave the script accessible in your full releases? I ask because this gives the option of much greater customization for those of who need/want it. In my case I have my Blu-ray discs ripped to MKV and I use VLC to play them. With the script accessible I can now fade the screen (with Remote Buddy) before the movie starts so as to hide the VLC interface at launch, as well as allowing me to perform some maintenance on my audio and subtitle tracks*.

I don't think I've said it before since I'm hardly ever in your forums, but I love this software. DVDpedia is great for cataloguing and pulling info, but it also makes my HTPC simple to use. Now if only we had an easy way to deal with boxed sets... :wink:

*In an effort to have my HTPC work consistently across apps as well as making it easy for my wife to use I have written scripts to change the audio and subtitle tracks of the Blu-ray rips in VLC. Since VLC doesn't really have a dictionary I rely on Remote Buddy to hold and share the current state of variables, e.g. what audio track is currently selected, the total number of tracks. With the VLC script accessible in DVDpedia I can now reset these on launch of a new movie which is better than the roundabout and error-prone way I had been doing it.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Very glad to hear about DVDpedia being so useful, the script will be exposed in the official versions as well to make it even more useful. The customization, flexibility and open access is what makes DVDpedia great, they are things being done with The Pedias that we would have never thought of. Do make a backup of any customized script as an update of DVDpedia will reset the included script and you can drop in your special version into the package contents after the update.

That is some interesting tricks with Remote Buddy to control the audio and subtitle tracks directly in VLC.