Allmovie.com Plot Synopsis Support

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
neverminding

Allmovie.com Plot Synopsis Support

Post by neverminding »

I really dig this application and I think it's perfect in almost every way. The only problems I run into is when I import data from IMDb; sometimes the artwork is in another language and the summary gets cutoff mid-sentence. I've seen people ask for allmovie.com support in these forums because they like the quality of their DVD covers but I haven't come across anybody raving about their well written plot synopses. Well here it is: Their plot synopses are awesome! A lot of the movie summaries that import from IMDb are one or two sentences but allmovie usually has a paragraph or two written about each film. I don't need a huge movie review for each entry but I feel that the IMDb summaries are a bit too short; the allmovie summaries seem to be somewhere in between. Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Keep up the good work.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Allmovie.com Plot Synopsis Support

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion as well as the explanation as to why it would be useful to you. We are trying to select new plug-ins based on whether they have an API for accessing data (like Amazon). It makes for a better user experience and are easier to maintain; put will add allmovies on the list of sites to consider due to both the covers and the summaries.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Allmovie.com Plot Synopsis Support

Post by sitenoise »

I'll second support for AMG synopses, but I'll bet you will have trouble API'ing with it and, for my money, it's one of the slowest sites on the internets. I think their sites are coded old school and they are ginormous and aren't likely to be redone in any way. Too bad, they have good info there (I agree with the OP, it's some of the best) but I rarely use them because it takes too long.