easier editing in table view

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
jamarks
Contributor
Contributor

easier editing in table view

Post by jamarks »

Apologize if this has already been listed. I did not see it in a preliminary search.

Sometimes I like to edit book information in table view. This is currently rather arduous as one first has to select the line, then the cell, and after a one second delay the cell for selecting turns to a white background with the text selected.

I'd personally rather that the cells behaved more like a regular spreadsheet, the arrow keys worked and it was easier to select a particular cell and to select several cells in one column.

An example would be that I used to put n/a for my books that don't have isbn information. I realized that it looked cluttered and now I don't write anything for books that don't have an isbn. Changing all the cells will take me 30 minutes of crazily boring work that would take one minute in a spreadsheet.

I love the layout and features of this product. This is just a feature request.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: easier editing in table view

Post by Nora »

The slight delay when editing a field in the table view is actually a Leopard behavior (iTunes for example works the same way). The arrow keys don't work in the table view for the same reason but you can move through a row using the tab key.
However in your case the multiple edit should come in handy since you mentioned the ISBN fields that you'd like to clear: select all the entries where you'd like to clear the ISBN field, then choose 'Edit'. That'll bring up a multiple edit window where you can check the box next to 'ISBN' and then leave the field blank. That'll erase all ISBN information for the selected entries.
jamarks
Contributor
Contributor

Re: easier editing in table view

Post by jamarks »

I hadn't noticed this before. Thanks for the tip.