MobileMe woes

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
maik
Contributor
Contributor

MobileMe woes

Post by maik »

Hi,

A few weeks ago I signed up for a MobileMe account. It works nice for syncing data between my Mac and iPhone, but I can't get DVDpedia to properly upload my DVD collection to it. It creates a preview and then uploads all the data without showing any error. When it's done I click on the "View" button, Safari opens with the URL that the DVDpedia dialog showed, and only gives me a blank page. When I look in my iDisk Home->Sites folder it comes up empty, while I would expect it to show the "DVDs" folder that I provided as a site name.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Cheers,
-Maik
Conor
Top Dog

Re: MobileMe woes

Post by Conor »

Take a look in the /Web/Sites folder of your iDisk for the DVDs folder. Apple updated to using this folder with MobileMe, instead of Sites. If the folder is there, please let us know the URL that DVDpedia directed you to that gave you a blank age that was not the correct one (you can do so privately vie email or private message A.K.A. PM link). If the folder is not there, then take a look at your console log for any error from the upload process as they would have been reported there. To view your console use the program of the same name in your utilities folder. You can also run a regular HTML export of your preferred template and drag the resulting folder over to your iDisk to find out if they problem is with the upload or with iDisk server.
maik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by maik »

There is no /Web folder. The top level folders are Backup, Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public, Sites, and Software.

The console log does not show any dvdpedia related output.

I tried creating the /Web folder manually. iDisk doesn't let me do this, I can create a folder and name it anything but Web.

Manually copying DVDPedia's HTML export to /Sites/DVDs works, I can access it via homepage.mac.com/<username>/DVDs. But I guess this is not the way you intended this ;-)

Let me know if there is any more testing I can do.

Cheers,
-Maik
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

No "Web" folder, very strange indeed as it should be one of the default folders. The "Sites" folder is the way we used to do it, but since homepage has been discontinued we are not sure how long the homepage URL will continue to work. If you have iWeb try a text site upload or the new iPhoto gallery upload. Both of these programs would put files in "/Web/Sites".
maik
Contributor
Contributor

Post by maik »

Exporting a gallery from iPhoto worked, it created the /Web/Sites hierarchy. Didn't try iWeb... Now DVDpedia's export to MobileMe works as well, thanks. Suggestion: It seems DVDpedia needs to check if /Web/Sites doesn't exist yet and create it if that is the case prior to uploading the HTML export. Or tell the user to run an upload from iPhoto first, though that is a lot less comfortable...

Cheers,
-Maik
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Glad to hear the export with iPhoto worked. We'll add that check for the Web folder in the future. (Although this is the first time we hear of this being an issue so it doesn't seem to be a wide-spread problem.)