Have not been able to sync with PocketPedia in a while

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
freerangeotter

Have not been able to sync with PocketPedia in a while

Post by freerangeotter »

Hi - I have had DVDPedia and BookPedia since early 2008. Probably for the past year, though, I have not found a way to make either application sync with PocketPedia. I have tried with an iPhone 3G, 3GS, and now 4S. I am running DVDPedia and BookPedia on OS X 10.6.8, and both applications are on their newest versions (though they did not work on older versions either). Every time I try to sync PocketPedia shows a message for less than a second saying "Requesting Collections" or something similar, and then the message disappears and nothing happens. Bluetooth is off on my phone, Firewall is off on the computer. I don't know what else to try. Anybody else have troubles syncing, and managed to get it fixed?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Have not been able to sync with PocketPedia in a while

Post by Nora »

Have you tried creating a direct network for the Mac and iPhone? You can do that by going into the Airport menu at the top of your screen and selecting 'Create Network'. Then go into the Settings on your iPhone and connect to that same network. Now restart DVDpedia and Bookpedia and try the sync again.
freerangeotter

Post by freerangeotter »

Hi Nora - thank you for your reply. I just tried this, and there was no change. I created a network from the Airport menu called My Mac, and connected to it from my iPhone, and restarted the apps, but I got the same result. The "Requesting Collections" message popped up for a second and then disappeared...
Carabosse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Carabosse »

I was also having this problem, and then I tried something new that seemed to work. I put the steps I followed in a post is called "Pocketpedia1, ~Pedias 5.0.1, and IOS 5.0.1", also in the Support forums.
freerangeotter

Post by freerangeotter »

Carabosse wrote:I was also having this problem, and then I tried something new that seemed to work. I put the steps I followed in a post is called "Pocketpedia1, ~Pedias 5.0.1, and IOS 5.0.1", also in the Support forums.
This worked!!! Thank you so much! Following the instructions in your post I was able to sync up DVDPedia and Bookpedia perfectly.

My PocketPedia also had the Pacman logo on it - I guess that's an old version of it? Maybe that was the problem...
kaerf75
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by kaerf75 »

Hi All!! Hi Nora!

I recently purchased pocketpedia3 and I'm so frustrated with this... Everything I try getting it wireless to work just fails! Also the workaround (see Post above) does´t work for me.

I´ve synched it via iTunes, but that's somehow a pain in the ass....... (just because i know that it is possible to sync wireless - don´t get me wrong)

My Setup:

- MacBook Pro 13" with an Intel Core i7 with 8GB of RAM with OS X Lion installed - System is up-to-date
- iPhone 4 Firmware is up-to-date
- My Database is "sourced out" on a network attached storage.
- My Firewall is turned off...

DVDPedia works just fine with the database stored on my NAS...

I´ve searched the console for "pedia" but could not find anything.

Oh I forgott: The Error Message is "Pedia not found - Please start the Pedia application on your Mac"

PLEASE help!!!!!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Do you have the latest version of DVDpedia? Please use the 'Check for Updates' command under the DVDpedia menu to make sure.
kaerf75
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by kaerf75 »

Hi Nora,

My dvdpedia is up-to-Date...
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

It sounds like the two programs can't 'see' each other on the Wi-Fi. Try turning the iPhone off and on again and then re-connect it to the Wi-Fi (if it doesn't do it automatically). Then restart DVDpedia on your Mac, check that the Mac is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your iPhone and try the sync again.
Also try turning of Bluetooth, if you have it on, to see if that makes a difference.