Some poster images not showing after changing user account

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Some poster images not showing after changing user account

Post by MikeB »

Because I thought there was a problem with my Mac, I made a new user account for myself. Since I keep the DVDPedia files in the Shared user account, I assumed there would be no problems changing. When I first started DVDPedia, I had to show it where the files were and that worked.

However, I have noticed that not all the poster images are showing. Perhaps 10 percent are missing. Yet, the covers folder has more images than I have DVDs. Since I noticed that the photos were owned by the old user, I chown-ed them to the new account. I have also notice there the permissions are not all the same. For all images, the owner has rw permission, but some also have an execute flag and if there is no execute, then everyone has read permission, otherwise only the owner has rw permissions.

I am not sure that the permissions are the problem however. How can I get all the images to show again in DVDPedia?
FineWine
Site Admin

Change Folder & File attributes/permissions

Post by FineWine »

This won't answer all of your questions but I use a little free program called BatChmod by Lagente Software. to change folder and file attributes/permissions. The beauty with this program is that you not only can change a sinle file but a 'Batch' of files within a single Folder.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Some poster images not showing after changing user accou

Post by Conor »

It would definitely be the permissions. Update the permissions to all the covers and also make sure the entire path into the folder is writable by your new users as otherwise DVDpedia won't be able to save new covers (DVDpedia will report the save error for covers into the console log if you are having trouble saving new images, it will not report read errors based on permissions).

Disk Utility in your /Applications/Utilities folder is also handy in this case. Select your hard drive and run the "Repair Permissions" from under the "First Aid" tab. Not sure if it checks and updates the permissions for a shared user folder, but it's worth a try.
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for the help, Conor. I did what you suggested, but first that showed that there is another problem. I found there are two DVDPedia folders in the Shared folder. One is at the root level and the other one is in Library. I cleaned the one at root level, but that did not fix the problem. I then found the other directory and cleaned that and now it works fine. Can I delete the directory at the root level? Both folders seem to have the same files.

Thanks for the tip FineWine. I find for myself that the terminal is really much faster and easier, so I use that.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Double-check in the DVDpedia Preferences, under the General tab, that DVDpedia is using the data folder in your Home folder Library/Application Support/. You'll see the 'Data folder location' path at the bottom of that window. If that all checks out you can delete the DVDpedia folder at root level to avoid any confusion in the future.