Amazon Search Not Working (Bookpedia)

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Search Not Working (Bookpedia)

Post by FineWine »

I'm having no problem with my default amazon us, ca or uk using the latest version build.

Give deleting the cache file ago from here: ~/Library/Caches/com.bruji.bookpedia

OR you could carry out a major pedia reinstall by following these instructions: Pedia Maintenance Practices
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BatteriesNotIncluded »

I, too, am having issues with returning any Amazon search results.
I am using DVDPedia and have followed all the steps for using the Amazon Test account. I have cleared my cache, also.
I did used to use my own AWS credentials, so I'm curious if there's any residual detail of that in the app -- and causing the issue?
Any and all help is appreciated. Amazon integration is what makes this functional for me. Thanks
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Yes, amazon search is not working as it should and I am even having problems now so amazon have changed things again! and I have let Conor know.
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

FineWine wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:39 pm Yes, amazon search is not working as it should and I am even having problems now so amazon have changed things again! and I have let Conor know.
Thank you for confirming. Hoping Conor has yet another secret trick up his sleeve.
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

Don't know if this helps, but Amazon searching [using Amazon Test] has been working perfectly fine for me with version 6.2.1. I upgraded to version 7 today, still using Amazon Test, and Amazon search no longer finds any results [I use multi-add ++ and my barcode scanner to enter several 100 items at a time].

Downgrading my database and Bookpedia binary back to version 6.2.1, Amazon search is again working perfectly via barcode scanner and the ++ feature.
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marksealey »

I have a feeling that it's (some of) the changes which Amazon makes (in my case amazon.com in the US) that are causing (some of) the failures.

Nothing I could do - yesterday - would get BookPedia 7.0 on 13.6.7 to find this title.

It seemed to be because BookPedia was looking for - or found - the 10-digit ISBN (0199563446) for some reason - presumably because of some change in the way BookPedia is having to twist itself into knots to parse pages whose layout changes frequently.

I'd have said that Conor does an amazing job of keeping up with numerous such changes.
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

Just a small update - I was easily able to take the same group of 73 items and scan their barcodes using only Amazon US as the source in version 6.2.1. This was done within 10 minutes of trying to do the same group of 73 items [DVDs/Books/AudioBooks] with version 7.0 of Bookpedia and having it fail on every single item. Once I switched back to version 6.2.1, all 73 items were found and added to Bookpedia. I kept the preferences the same between the 2 versions and both were using the Amazon Test AWS account.

So if you need this feature, you may want to roll back to version 6.2.1
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

vjl wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:59 pm Don't know if this helps, but Amazon searching [using Amazon Test] has been working perfectly fine for me with version 6.2.1. I upgraded to version 7 today, still using Amazon Test, and Amazon search no longer finds any results [I use multi-add ++ and my barcode scanner to enter several 100 items at a time].

Downgrading my database and Bookpedia binary back to version 6.2.1, Amazon search is again working perfectly via barcode scanner and the ++ feature.
I can confirm this is working for DVDPedia! Thank you so much for sharing this workaround!
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:00 am I can confirm this is working for DVDPedia! Thank you so much for sharing this workaround!
Glad it also works in DVDPedia! No problem! It's a time-saver for me [I've run an online used bookstore using Bookpedia since 2008, so I have a gazillion items stored in it!]
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

I've fallen way behind in my DVD/Blu/4K cataloging (have several thousand!) so you've saved me and resurrected my trusty Bluetooth barcode scanner. Thanks again.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

This all good news.

Is this the app store version or a Beta version and if so what beta ??

If members ask are you able send them your version 6.2.1.

I do not have the original app store version but I do have version 6.2.1 (Beta 220) and (Beta 230) and (Beta261) all in zip file if people would want it.
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe the Pedia's API handling in version 6.2.1 could be ported to the latest version 7 release? Amazon have seemingly rolled back on some of their API development...
Last edited by BatteriesNotIncluded on Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

For me, it is the Bruji downloaded version 6.2.1 - not the Mac App Store version [I've never bought the MAS version I don't think]. The About screen shows no beta markings - just 6.2.1 and my serial number under it.

I'd gladly send anyone a zip version of the app [though the preferences that contain my serial number will not be included!] I can upload it to a private Dropbox link if that's cool with Conor.
BatteriesNotIncluded
Contributor
Contributor

Version 6.2.1 is still available on the official server. Download links --

DVDPedia: https://bruji.com/dvdpedia/dvdpedia6.2.1.dmg
BookPedia: https://bruji.com/bookpedia/bookpedia6.2.1.dmg
CDPedia: https://bruji.com/cdpedia/cdpedia6.2.1.dmg
GamePedia: https://bruji.com/gamepedia/gamepedia6.2.1.dmg
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

@ BatteriesNotIncluded

Thanks for that :D

I have reposted your post into General > News and made it an announcement.