Work with LibraryThing

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
amani

Work with LibraryThing

Post by amani »

I really like this application, but I also hope that somehow that Bookpedia can work with the online site, LibraryThing.
gerryleonidas
Inductee
Inductee

Re: Work with LibraryThing

Post by gerryleonidas »

amani wrote:I really like this application, but I also hope that somehow that Bookpedia can work with the online site, LibraryThing.
I would like to add a vote of support to this suggestion. Allowing others to see your catalog can very useful.
xizzy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xizzy »

Yeah a sort of p2p of library information ;)
bacon
Inductee
Inductee

Post by bacon »

gerryleonidas wrote:
amani wrote:I really like this application, but I also hope that somehow that Bookpedia can work with the online site, LibraryThing.
I would like to add a vote of support to this suggestion. Allowing others to see your catalog can very useful.
I'd also like to see this implemented. First because I have almost 1100 books cataloged in LibraryThing, and second, because they now offer access to over a million book covers uploaded by their users. Bookpedia would benefit from being able to access the collection of cover images from LibraryThing. You can export your LibraryThing catalog to a file, but there are data formatting issues which need to be dealt with.

Another issue would be better syncing between Bookpedia and Pocketpedia on my iPhone. It seems to request each image every time I sync the catalogs. This takes a long time if all I'm trying to do is update 20 new books out of 1100. I'd store a check sum of the image in the database of Bookpedia and Pocketpedia and only request the image if they don't match.

An thank you for fixing the problem with the iPhone going to sleep during a sync.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion. WIll take a look at creating a LibraryThing search plugin, although their API seems to permit it and then deny the use to competitors.

Subsequent Pocketpedia syncs should be incremental and covers should only be downloaded for those entries that have changed since the last sync. We will run some test and try to reproduce the sync where all the covers are being synced again as you mention.