iSight scanning problem on new MacBook Pro

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I can't really give you a timeframe because once we manage to get the code right to work with all the different versions of the iSight, it'll still need a lot of testing since the reports so far have been so varied about the scanning. And with the holidays coming up, things will slow down a bit anyway so it probably won't happen before the new year.
iFrank
Inductee
Inductee

New to Bookpedia

Post by iFrank »

Hi, I'm new to Bookpedia - and have been looking at the features vs Delicious Library. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I've decided to settle upon Bookpedia.

However, and it's a big however, I can't get any recognition from my built-in iSight camera. I'm using a new MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz/Core2 Duo), and it seems my problems are similar to others. But -- I'm not getting any recognition of bar codes at all!

When I try Delicious Library, I'm having difficulty (10-20 seconds for each book), but I inevitably get each one to be recognized reliably. Any insights for how to achieve anything close to this reco?

- iFrank
bernard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

iSigh....t

Post by bernard »

Soupir... sigh. The problem with the new iSight on the MacBook Pro is very annoying.

I solved it by attaching my Sony miniDV camcorder trough FireWire and it's working very efficiently. It helps waiting for a more elegant solution.

B. Scherler - Switzerland
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We updated the iSight capturing code to a new Apple version for capturing video. However we haven't figured out how to zoom in on the image as we did with the old version for the new built-in iSights. So we are going to need the help of Apple on this one, with Mac World coming up their engineers are probably very busy, but the fix should be coming as soon as we figure it out.
ZZamboni
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by ZZamboni »

After a long while without trying, I just tried 4.1.3, and it seems to be scanning almost everything I've thrown at it. I just downloaded the beta linked in this thread, and it seems to work even better - now the image appears in color (it was only b/w in 4.1.3).

Thanks!
StarTrekker3
Inductee
Inductee

Re: iSight scanning problem on new MacBook Pro

Post by StarTrekker3 »

Hi, is there also a beta for bookpedia?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Download Bookpedia 4.2 and give that a try. (It's the official release of the beta.)
babston

Post by babston »

I started having an issue after going tot he latest version 4.2 I have been using my Sony DV camcorder as my isight and has worked in the past and still works for other things but now it no longer works with this software. Any help? Please that was a really nice feature
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We switched to the new version of the capture software from Apple. We are still finding out difference with each camera, please download this version that will print messages to your console log when you use the camera feature giving us more information about your camera and email us those messages. You can view your console log with the program of the same name in your utilities folder (new messages are at the bottom). Thank you.
Howard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Howard »

I have a MBP Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz and for the life of me the 4.2 version of BP still does not work with iSight. It also introduced a new problem where movement of the screen image of the ISBN lags behind movement of the actual book. It is very tough to align the ISBN with the iSight due to this lag. Love this software but I would love it much more if the scanning feature would work without the outlay of additional cash for an outboard scanner.

Howard
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We are getting a new Mac Book Pro in the office in a week so will be able to run more tests then.