OpenMeta

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
rickl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

OpenMeta

Post by rickl »

This isn't really a feature request... at least not yet. But OpenMeta, a new initiative launched by the makers of Leap & Yep to ensure portability of metadata, has been garnering a lot of attention recently. Would there be any benefits to adopting OpenMeta tags in the Pedias?
http://ironicsoftware.com/community/?CategoryID=14
Nora
Site Admin

Re: OpenMeta

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the suggestion. We just recently heard about OpenMeta (through another user - you guys are great!) and have it bookmarked for possible inclusion in the future. But there are some reservations about the way the data is stored, as Michael Tsai points out here. What we'd gain from OpenMeta would be sharing our info with other apps but we don't want to write into Apple's space or get into something that might or might not be supported in the future. We also have our own Spotlight importer that follows Apple's guidelines.
rickl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by rickl »

I might be good to make sure the OpenMeta people know how you feel, so that the impression doesn't get around that this is just Michael Tsai being unreasonable. I'm sure that if it turns that this is how the majority of developers feel something can be done to deal with the issues.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The OpenMeta is an interesting idea but one not so useful to the Pedias. As Nora mentioned the Pedias already have their own Spotlight importer that adds items to the Spotlight index including localized details (although in Leopard the Spotlight attributes have been supplanted by our QuickLook plug-in). The Pedias are also not file based, the information is kept in a single SQL database that can't be tagged by OpenMeta. If OpenMeta provided a substantial gain we would jump in and help out and give some feedback, as it is we are covered by what is built into OS X. You are correct that those that like the idea but are hesitant like Michael Tsai should voice their opinion. So here is mine: I believe this idea has a lot more potential with files like images and video that have a number of editors programs, so that you can view your tags in a number of programs, e.i. iPhoto and Photoshop both. What is needed is that everybody get together and write and read the same attribute, and kMDItemKeywords provided by Spotlight is the perfect candidate, I don't believe a whole new API is needed.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:…, and kMDItemKeywords provided by Spotlight is the perfect candidate, …
I think that's debatable, e.g. because there's too much potential for problems caused by that broadly-defined attribute being used inconsistently and non-cooperatively.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

too much potential for problems caused by that broadly-defined attribute being used inconsistently and non-cooperatively.
Exactly why when working with inter-program API that is system wide he updates and features should come from Apple. OpenMeta is wonderful in the early stages to get the ball rolling and set the guidelines for what developers would like it to be, but should not replace asking for enhancements to Snow Leopard in the bug reporter.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:… updates and features should come from Apple.
I agree that would be ideal (at least for the sake of being authoritative) but until/unless that happens some people will be satisfied with using OpenMeta, "stealing" Spotlight Comments, and other methods for storing and sharing file tags.
OpenMeta is wonderful in the early stages to get the ball rolling and set the guidelines for what developers would like it to be
I'm glad if its primary purpose is motivating deeper open discussions and raising awareness of issues and possible solutions, like is happening on Ironic Software's forum. Similar dialog seemed lacking when Spotlight Comments pseudo-standards for tagging started appearing (not necessarily with consistent syntax). At least OM is attempting to be a more coordinated and cooperative effort, with both developers and end users able to get involved. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions (as long as they remain civil).
but should not replace asking for enhancements to Snow Leopard in the bug reporter.
Of course not. :)