Can't save data anymore

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Carabosse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Can't save data anymore

Post by Carabosse »

I upgraded to OS 10.6 last night, I'm on version 4.5.3 for each of my pedias (Book, DVD, CD), and today I cannot add any data to any of my pedia libraries. For instance, I do the search, find what I want and add the book to the library, and then I get this error message:

Action Required
Part of the path to the database file is not writable; check the permissions on /Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. Data was not saved.

I've run the "repair permissions" function three times, and no errors appear that need correction. I've checked the apps and database files to see if I have read/write permissions and it says that I do.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Can't save data anymore

Post by Alex »

The error seems to point to the path, not the database itself. So even if you have permissions for the database, you might find that you don't have permissions for one of the folders above it (say /Library for example), this will prohibit you from writing to any folder inside that one even though the file might be writable. Weird but true.

If you are the admin of the machine you should have permissions, so it's very strange. Also, the path you pasted was "/Library..." when in fact it should be "~/Library..." the ~ makes all the difference because it points to your home folder, and is a different location than /Library.

Things to try:
• Look at all the folders in the path where you have your database and make sure you have write permissions to each of them.
• Try creating a new folder in the path where you have your pedia databases, does the system allow you to do that?
• Hold down Option and start a pedia, it will ask you to choose a database or create a new one. Create a new one in a place where you know you can write (Desktop for example) and try adding an entry, does it work?
• If all else fails, you can try moving the location where your databases are stored to a place where you can write to.
• Of course, there is also the option of manually forcing the permissions through the command line terminal, but I wouldn't recommend this just yet.

Let us know what happens.
Carabosse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Carabosse »

Also, the path you pasted was "/Library..." when in fact it should be "~/Library..." the ~ makes all the difference because it points to your home folder, and is a different location than /Library.
Everything had, in fact, been writing to /Library and not to my user home folder ~/Library.
• Hold down Option and start a pedia, it will ask you to choose a database or create a new one. Create a new one in a place where you know you can write (Desktop for example) and try adding an entry, does it work?
I held down the option key and chose the database from my user library. Everything is working again, although the database in my user library is older than the one that was maintained in the /Library. I dragged the information from the /Library folder into the ~/Library folder, replaced the errant data, and then opened the database file by clicking it. Everything works now, I've made proper back-ups, and it's all good. Thanks!
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Good to hear. Backups are important, make sure to keep them updated :D